It’s summertime again and that means sunshine, picnics, ice cream trucks and beaches. The thought of beaches and pools can make some women cringe, but the owners of East Cobb-based , a women’s fitness studio, have some tips just in time for bathing suit season.
“The Get In Shape For Women results-oriented system focuses on weight training, nutrition, cardio and accountability,” said Jennifer Spann, health and fitness expert and owner of Get In Shape's East Cobb location, 3822 Roswell Road, at the intersection of Robinson Road East. “We help women lose weight, gain strength and confidence and get ready to hit the beach.”
Here are some helpful summer fitness tips from East Cobb's Get In Shape For Women, Jennifer Spann and Janey Walker, to get bikini-ready and stay in shape all year long:
1. Add interval cardio to your day. Interval cardio can burn excess fat and boost metabolism. Interval cardio exercises like walking, jogging, or the elliptical can burn upwards of 10 calories every minute, according to trainers at Get In Shape For Women. So by finding 30 minutes a day to dedicate to cardio, it is possible to lose inches and feel more comfortable in a bathing suit.
2. Fight osteoporosis and fat with weight training. As another foundational principle of Get In Shape For Women, weight training is a key component in transforming bodies, preventing injuries and overall health and wellbeing, according to Spann and Walker.
3. Practice mindful eating. That can of soda is 200 calories and that apple with peanut butter is 200 calories, according to Spann and Walker. Which one is a better use of calories? When making meal and snack choices, choose the one that will most benefit your body’s needs. If you’re not sure what foods you should be eating, you can ask a trainer or nutritionist.
4. Keep track of portion size. Eat six small meals throughout the day (about fist-sized) and only eat when you’re actually hungry, Get In Shape For Women trainers say. Stave off boredom-inspired hunger with a glass of water or a trip to a gym to burn the calories that you would have consumed.
5. Rest between workouts. When you’re in a time crunch to get into a bathing suit, it can be tempting to work out every day thinking you will reach your goal faster, but doing so will put your body at a much higher risk of injury, according to Get In Shape For Women trainers. Set healthy, realistic exercise goals for your bikini deadline.
6. Drink lots of water. Drinking water during and after exercising helps keep bodies hydrated as toxin-carrying water leaves as sweat, according to Spann and Walker. Drinking water can also help cut pounds for the summer. To drop pounds, replace soda and alcoholic beverages with water to cut calories throughout the day; drink a glass of water before eating to suppress appetite; and get better skin, less headaches and better digestion with more water consumption, Spann and Walker say.
Get In Shape For Women was founded in 2006 by Brian Cook. The franchise offers small group, personal training for women. Clients experience weight training, cardio and nutrition support.
Location: 3822 Roswell Road Suite 114