After losing twice to Roswell during the regular season, the Wheeler High School boys basketball team had to play on the Hornets' home floor Saturday night in the Region 5-AAAAAA championship game.
As they did with Walton in the semifinals, however, the Wildcats avenged earlier defeat when it counted the most, claiming a 74-60 win to earn the No. 1 seed from the region heading into next week's Georgia High School Association state tournament.
Wheeler had four double-figure scorers, led by 17 points from Jaylen Brown, to improve to 18-8 on the season. More on the game from The Marietta Daily Journal.
The Wildcats will be playing host to Dacula in the first round of the Class AAAAAA tournament on Wednesday.
Here's the rest of the schedule for other East Cobb-area teams that also have qualified:
- Sprayberry girls at Southwest DeKalb, Tuesday;
- Stephenson at Kell girls, Tuesday;
- Pope girls at Miller Grove, Tuesday;
- Wheeler girls at Parkview, Tuesday;
- Pope boys at Stephenson, Wednesday;
- Walton boys at Shiloh, Wednesday;
- Tucker at Sprayberry boys, Wednesday.
Here are the GHSA brackets involving East Cobb-area schools:
- Class AAAAAAA boys (Wheeler, Walton);
- Class AAAAA boys (Pope, Sprayberry);
- Class AAAAAA girls (Wheeler);
- Class AAAAA girls (Pope, Sprayberry, Kell).
All early-round games are on the floor of the higher seeds until the semifinals, which will be played at Kennesaw State.
The state championship games will be played in Macon.
We'll post tipoff time and other information for each first-round game when we get it; the GHSA just unveiled the brackets on Sunday morning.