While the big-ticket items on the March 2013 Cobb Education SPLOST referendum have been getting most of the attention, every school in the Cobb County School District is slated for improvements.
The Cobb Board of Education called for the referendum earlier this month and set a date for the vote on March 19, 2013.
The biggest school-specific earmark of all is in East Cobb -- nearly $40 million for Walton High School -- as well as nearly $30 million for an East Cobb-area replacement middle school.
What follows is a detailed look at what each school in East Cobb -- ZIP codes 30062, 30067 and 30068 -- would be getting if Cobb voters approve the $717 million extension of the one-cent SPLOST, which would begin collection for five years starting in January 2014.
Information has been culled from the attached SPLOST IV final "notebook" of proposed projects. Here are the major school-specific projects in East Cobb:
- Walton High School ($39.9 million): A new fine arts facility with theater and a replacement gymnasium;
- East Cobb Area Replacement Middle School ($29.1 million): Discussions have centered on East Cobb Middle School;
- Pope High School ($19.3 million): A theater addition and a replacement gymnasium;
- Wheeler High School ($19.1 million): A theater addition and a replacement gymnasium unrelated to the current main building replacement project;
- Tritt Elementary School ($3.2 million): Replacing the current temporary classroom annex with a new permanent wing;
- Mt. Bethel Elementary School ($3.1 million): Replacing the current temporary classroom annex with a new permanent wing;
- Sope Creek Elementary School ($2.4 million): A renovation of the current undersized physical education building.
The following schools would be getting gymnasium lighting and electrical upgrades at a cost of $210,210 per school:
- Garrison Mill ES, Mt. Bethel ES; Murdock ES, Shallowford Falls ES, Timber Ridge ES, Tritt ES;
And gym lighting and electrical upgrades estimated at $223,561 each are slated for the following schools:
- Dickerson MS, Dodgen MS, East Cobb MS;
Flooring projects include $413,366 at Sope Creek ES, while $309,705 in painting work is included at Shallowford Falls ES.
Plumbing work has been designated for East Cobb MS ($357,267), Sope Creek ES ($254,687) and Walton HS ($570,326).
New playground equipment totalling $85,000 at each school has been pegged for Brumby ES, Eastvalley ES, Garrison Mill ES, Shallowford Falls ES and Sope Creek ES.
Resurfacing tennis courts will cost $90,000 at each school and includes Pope, Walton and Wheeler high schools.
Resurfacing tracks costs $350,000 each and would include Pope, Walton and Wheeler.
New roofing is slated for Dickerson MS ($1.1 million), while roofing and skylight replacements are scheduled for Dodgen MS ($2.5 million), East Cobb MS ($2.6 million) and Hightower Trail MS ($2 million).
For more information for each school's project list, search on the attached PDF, with school names listed alphabetically. There are no specific dollar figures on those pages.
Specific project category information with estimated costs, such as that listed above, is included near the front of the overall project notebook.