The Cobb Department of Transportation is holding an informational meeting Sunday at to provide details of an upcoming road maintenance project near the school entrance.
Cobb DOT representatives will be available from 2-4 p.m. under the awning at the bus drop off-pick up area to outline planned road, sidewalk and median work at the intersection of Fairfield Drive and Indian Hills Parkway.
The project gets underway Wednesday, July 25, and is expected to be completed by Aug. 12, the day before the 2012-13 academic year begins.
The following is the full text of a letter to area residents distributed by District 2 Cobb commissioner Bob Ott:
We want to advise you, from July 25 to August 12, Cobb County Department of Transportation expects to perform road, sidewalk and median work at the intersection of Fairfield Drive and Indian Hills Parkway.
We encourage you to review the attached project and plans and offer us your comments. We welcome you to stop by the East Side Elementary School this Sunday where members of the Cobb County Department of Transportation will be available to speak with you in person:
Sunday, July 22, 2012
2 - 4 p.m.
East Side Elementary School
Under the awning at the bus drop off-pick up area
CCDOT members will be available
This project will improve safety for pedestrians and motorists, as well as, decrease traffic congestion at the intersection of Indian Hills Parkway and Fairfield Drive/East Side Elementary School, especially during East Side Elementary school peak traffic times.
Diagram Design 1 and Design 2
The attached diagrams shows the new and improved flow of traffic, upon the project's completion, by the time school reopens August 13.
Please note, your commute may be affected, as the following changes are made:
• Construct new, raised intersection medians and modify existing raised medians on Indian Hills Parkway at Fairfield Drive/East Side Elementary School.
• Create new "U" turn lanes, and install pavement markings and signs to address changes in traffic flow on Indian Hills Parkway resulting from median changes.
• Alter pavement markings on the school driveway to provide two ingress lanes and one egress lane.
• Relocate the existing crosswalk across Indian Hills Parkway to the south side of the intersection. This alternation includes a new crosswalk and sidewalk on the Fairfield Drive side.
Your safety, and the safety of your children, is important to us.
This project will alleviate safety concerns in the following ways:
• Improved safety for pedestrians and ease of traffic flow into the school via relocation of the crosswalk on Indian Hills Parkway.
• Enhanced motorist safety and less traffic congestion for the substantial left turns onto Fairfield Drive and East Side Elementary School from Indian Hills Parkway by eliminating current turning and through movement traffic conflicts from Fairfield Drive and the school driveway.
• Better traffic flow and safety for the smaller number of motorists currently turning left, or crossing Indian Hills Parkway, from Fairfield Drive and the school driveway. Raised medians, signs and markings will direct this traffic to turn right and utilize added "U" turn lanes at adjacent median breaks. A nearby traffic signal to the north and all-way stop to the south provides the traffic gaps needed to easily facilitate these new "U" turn movements.
• Greater ability of the school driveway to ease traffic congestion by creation of two ingress lanes for use of right and left turning traffic from Indian Hills Parkway.