1. Another drab, chilly day for East Cobb, according to the National Weather Service. It will be cloudy and breezy with a high of about 72 and an overnight low around 57.
2. The at the East Cobb Library opens today and runs through Oct. 14. An opening reception at the library at 6 p.m. will celebrate the children’s illustrator and creator of such books as Where the Wild Things Are.
3. The Cobb County Planning Commission is holding a zoning hearing this morning at 9 in the boardroom at 100 Cherokee St. off Marietta Square. Two East Cobb cases are on the agenda: a rezoning request from Donald Nix to do light car repairs on Freeman Road east of Johnson Ferry Road and the renewal of Temple Kol Emeth’s land-use permit for the preschool the Marcus Jewish Community Center runs at the synagogue at 1415 Old Canton Rd.
4. In varsity high school sports today, volleyball team plays host to and , starting at 4:15 p.m. holds a volleyball tripleheader with Woodward Academy and Chattahoochee High at 5 p.m. All three East Cobb public high schools play regional softball games: Pope at at 5:30 in Region 5-AAAA; at at 5:55 in Region 5-AAAAA; and Marietta at Wheeler at 5:55 in Region 5-AAAAA. Plus, it’s rivalry time in JV football as Wheeler plays at Walton at 5:30.
5. Tonight is Fashion’s Night Out, a national effort spreading from New York to celebrate the fashion industry and shopping. and its stores , , and celebrate with entertainment and giveaways starting at 6 p.m. Also marking the night is Fab'rik at Merchants Walk with a focus on denim do's and don'ts.