1. The calendar says it’s still summer; Mother Nature says differently today in East Cobb, where it will be cold. The high will be only 65, and a breeze will gust up to 20 mph, the National Weather Service says. Overnight, the temperature will drop to about 55, and there’s a chance of drizzle after 2 a.m.
2. If you live in the state House's 43rd District, served by Rep. Bobby Franklin , today is your last chance to beat the rush and vote early for Tuesday’s special election to fill the seat. You can vote from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the , 4400 Lower Roswell Rd., and the Cobb Board of Elections and Registration,
3. East Cobb Patch is running the last of five profiles of the 43rd District candidates today. You can get to know Geraldine Wade at 9 a.m. The other candidates are , , and .
4. Want to do some good for your community this weekend? Both and high schools are holding cleanups Saturday. Walton’s Clean Sweep runs from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and focuses on cleaning the hallways. The PTSA provides all supplies. Just show up at the front door with a water bottle and a willingness to work hard. Contact Laura Gosnell at 770-565-1768 or email@example.com for more information. At Wheeler, the PTSA’s environmental committee is leading the outdoor cleanup from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Volunteers will pick up trash, weed, cut branches, clear dirt from sidewalks and rake. Meet at the flagpole in front the school. Contact Jeff Bramblett at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
5. Fall Fridays mean high school football in East Cobb, and we’ll have a preview of the action today and a continually updated scoreboard tonight. But it’s also a busy day in high school softball as Walton and Wheeler continue play in North Cobb High’s Warrior Classic. Both play at 7:45 p.m., Walton against Griffin at Kennworth Park, Wheeler against St. Anne-Pacelli at the Acworth Sports Complex. Wheeler plays again Saturday morning at 8 against Shiloh at .