1. While our coastal neighbors focus on the as it heads toward North Carolina, we’re facing a Code Orange smog alert, intense heat, bright sunshine, no wind and a risk of pop-up thunderstorms in the afternoon, according to the National Weather Service. The high will be around 93, and the overnight low will be about 68.
2. The will meet tonight at 7 at the Central Office, 514 Glover St. The big potential controversy—a change to procedures involving employee disciplinary proceedings—is off the agenda, but the is due for approval.
3. The East Cobber Parade, set for Sept. 10, has come under criticism within the county government, WSB-TV reports. The TV station says an internal memo questions the value of spending $13,000 on public safety for the parade at a time of deep budget cuts and increasing property taxes, but the parade is going on as scheduled.
4. In high school sports today, softball team will play at Kell at 5:30 p.m., while the football season kicks off with a home JV game against Sprayberry at 6. softball team travels to Roswell to play Blessed Trinity at 5:30, while the freshman and JV football teams play host to Marietta at 5:30 and 7:30, respectively. has its volleyball home opener today, playing Sprayberry and South Cobb, starting at 5 p.m. And in pro news, East Cobb’s Melanie Oudin lost in straight sets in the second round of the Texas Tennis Open, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.
5. Looking for some adult fun tonight? Consider the weekly at . It starts at 8 and awards prizes to the top three teams. Or, if you’re a Walton High parent, there’s a meeting in the school theater at 6:30 p.m. for parents of students interested in drama.