1. Today is going to be steamy, according to the National Weather Service. It will be partly cloudy with a high around 93 degrees, lots of humidity and a 40 percent chance of rain from the afternoon through the night. Severe thunderstorms are possible in the late afternoon and evening. The overnight low will be about 71.
2. The Cobb County Citizens Oversight Committee last week recommended saving money in the library system by buying fewer books and magazines. If you like having books in your library, however, you can show your support by going to the at 266 Roswell St. in Marietta today or Saturday and shopping at Cobb Friends of the Library’s special book sale. Items start at $1, and all proceeds will supplement the library materials budget. The sale runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
3. Both East Marietta National Little League all-star teams are playing at 6 p.m. today in the tournaments continuing at Sewell Park. In the 9-year-old Northwest Georgia tournament, East Marietta (1-1) plays Murphey Candler Gold (0-2) on Field 1; both teams lost Thursday. In the 11-to-12-year-old District 2 tournament on Field 3, East Marietta (2-0) plays Smyrna (0-2) a day after East Marietta beat Milford, 8-3. Smyrna has been outscored 32-0 in its two games. In the 8 p.m. games, Milford is playing Murphey Candler Blue in the District 2 tournament, and Rockmart is playing Cartersville in the 9-year-old tournament.
4. Between the Fourth of July holiday and the departure of Marietta Patch editor Phil Taylor this week for greener pastures (yes, even greener than Patch), we’re off schedule for some of our regular features, but look for House Hunt and Bites Nearby, featuring East Cobb’s , later today.
5. Looking ahead just a bit, the Cobb County Board of Education will hold a special meeting at 8 a.m. Monday for the official swearing-in of new at the in Marietta.