Welcoming Hinojosa; Keeping the Music Live
The East Cobb Take Five for Thursday, Aug. 4.
1. In case you've literally been in a very cool and comfortable cave, it's a tad on the warm side these days, hot and humid enough for Cobb schools to limit when sports teams and marching bands can practice outdoors.
The new guidelines issued Wednesday, and which are in effect indefinitely, block out the noon-to-6 pm. window for those activities.
2. Thursday won't be providing much relief, with highs reaching 97 to 98 and a heat index between 104-108, a figure that's starting to jump off the charts.
A heat advisory has been issued through 8 p.m. today, but don't let your guard down after the sun goes down.
Friday is expected to be the same, and you don't want us to detail the long-term forecast, because you likely won't notice the drop of a degree or three in the temperatures.
3. We can't use the word "viral" to describe the accompanying video that was prepared by Cobb County School District employees to welcome new superintendent Michael Hinojosa, but the lip-syncing from staff and teachers to the nifty tune "Dynamite" certainly has jazzed up comments on the district's Facebook page.
Or maybe this was all just a dream sequence for Hinojosa while he was sitting through a bizarre new twist to the calendar issue in his first school board meeting on the job.
4. If you prefer your music by people trying to make even a modest living at it, East Cobb's Red Sky Tapas & Bar offers plenty of opportunities to take in a live event several times during the week.
Later today we'll post a report about local artists who perform there and how Red Sky has become a networking hub and collaborative environment for them to build their careers.
5. This is Thursday, which means East Cobb Patch will feature an array of weekend-oriented material since we know you're already thinking about it. Stay tuned later in the day for our Get Out guide, as well as House Hunt. On Friday, we'll appetize your palate with our Bites Nearby review. We'll have more details in tomorrow's Take Five.