A Call For Peace and Truth in the Middle East
A letter to the editor from Temple Kol Emeth Rabbi Erin Boxt about the situation in Gaza.
The following is a letter to the editor submitted by Rabbi Erin Boxt of East Cobb's Temple Kol Emeth on the current conflict between Israel and Hamas:
On November 14th - in response to an escalation of rocket attacks from Gaza - the Israeli Defense Forces initiated Operation Pillar of Defense. Since the launch, and the killing of Hamas Commander and Chief-of-Staff Ahmed Jabari, Hamas has launched both a military and public relations campaign to destabilize and delegitimize the State of Israel.
Hadassah, The Women’s Zionist Organization of America, one of many organizations, has worked tirelessly over 100 years to ensure the delivery of quality health and education services to the people of Israel. In doing so they have created a bridge to peace between all communities of different origins and backgrounds.
It is our hope - all of us in the Jewish community - for the truth on both sides to be presented accurately and not distorted. We pray for and hope for a time of peace when all of our brothers and sisters of all religions will get along peacefully, ensuring all of our children the right to a life of safety and freedom.
It is essential that the world community understand the facts on the ground.
Prior to Operation Pillar of Defense, Israel used enormous restraint amidst a barrage of attacks.
However, with the attacks intensifying, it became necessary to address Hamas’ terror campaign and reestablish greater security for the Israeli people:
- 4.5 Million Israelis, over half of the Israeli population, is under attack.
- 2,500 rockets have been launched from Gaza since Operation Cast Lead in 2009.
- Over 1,000 rockets have been launched this year.
- 360 rockets have been launched in the last 48 hours.
- 2 adult fatalities have occurred and 150 have been wounded, including two infants in serious condition since the start of Operation Pillar of Defense.
- Hamas uses civilian shields, including children.
The United States government has committed its support for Israel’s right for self defense.We look to the world community for its understanding and its support of peace for the people of Israel.
Rabbi Erin Boxt
Temple Kol Emeth